Whakatō marae is located 14 km east of Gisborne, in the township of Manutuke. It identifies primarily with the hapū Ngāti Maru of Rongowhakaata.
Whakatō traces its beginnings to the time of the first missionary contacts in Turanga-nui-a-kiwa. The first church in the area was built here, with the first service being held on Sunday 17 January 1842. The wharepuni Te Mana o Turanga was subsequently opened in January 1883. However, oral traditions indicate that the majority of the carvings for the whare were not carved until 1843, and waited 40 years before being installed.
The wharekai is Te Rangatahi a Turahiri. The urupa is Hurimoana. The marae connects ancestrally to the waka Horouta and Takitimu, the awa Te Arai and the maunga Puketapu.