Whakarongotai marae is located 60 km north of Wellington in Waikanae, on State Highway 1. It belongs to the iwi Te Āti Awa.
The whare tupuna is also called Whakarongotai. The marae connects ancestrally to the waka collective Tokomaru, the maunga Kapakapanui and the awa Waikanae. The original whare tupuna, Puku Mahi Tamariki, was built in 1850 at a different site in Waikanae; the meeting house was moved to its present site in 1886.