Waipapa marae is located just to the north of Kawhia township, in Te Rohe Pōtae, on the west coast. Waipapa Marae belongs to the Ngāti Hikairo hapū of Ngāti Te Mihinga, Ngāti Pokaia, and Ngāti Rāhui.There are at least 24 hapū of Ngāti Hikairo and all affiliate to Waipapa Marae, as the marae matua of Ngāti Hikairo. The marae was gazetted in 1950 as a Marae Reservation for Ngāti Hikairo and Waikato.
The whare tupuna is called Ngā Tai Whakarongorua and is 120 years old. The wharenui is named Taku Hiahia. Taku hiahia wharenui can sleep up to 300 and is used for wānanga, hui and tribal gatherings. The Wharekai was reopened in 2019 and is named Te Maru-o-Hikairo. The original names for the whare tupuna were Te Whānau Pani and then Te Mihinga.