Te Ruakopiha marae is located at the northern end of Mōtītī Island.
The whare tipuna is named Tamateakitehuatahi, after the son of Wairaka and grandson of Toroa. The wharekai is Hinewai. Te Ruakopiha marae connects ancestrally to the Mātaatua waka and to Te Hapu, the eponymous ancestor of the hapū of Te Patuwai and Ngati Maumoana and the ancient hapū Ngāi Te Hapu, Ngāti Takahanga, Ngāti Kauwaewera, Ngāti Pau, Ngāti Ruaroa, Ngāti Te Ahoaho and Ngāti Te Urumahora.
Near the marae stands the whare karakia named Taumata Ataahua, which was built in 1885 on the land named Karioi.