Tūteao marae is located in Te Teko on the banks of the Rangitaiki River. The primary hapū is Ngā Maihi of Ngāti Awa.
The whare tipuna is also called Tū Teao, and the wharekai is Whakarurumai o te Rangi (Rangi). The marae connects ancestrally to the waka Mataatua, the maunga Pūtauaki and the awa Rangitaiki.
Tūteao marae rests on the ancestral papakainga Hekerangi. Tū Teao whare opened in 1927, and Whakarurumai o te Rangi in 1939.