Manutuke marae is 14 km east of Gisborne, in the township of Manutuke. It belongs to the hapū Ngāti Kaipoho and Ngāti Te Aweawe of Rongowhakaata.
In 1913 Otene Pitau, the whangai child of Rukupo, initiated the relocation here from nearby Umukapua of Te Poho o Epeha, the wharenui of Ngāti Aweawe, and from Pakirikiri marae of the houses Te Poho o Rukupo and Te Poho o Hinehou of Ngāti Kaipoho. Many whanau were involved in moving the wharenui by oxen and logs. Te Poho o Rukupo is one of the oldest meeting houses in the Turanga-nui-a-kiwa region, initiated by Pera Tawhiti, and completed in 1878, four years after his passing.
On the return of soldiers from the Second World War, the wharekai was renamed from Te Poho o Hinehou to 'Maori Battalion', as a sign of respect to those who had served. The marae connects ancestrally to the waka Horouta and Takitimu, the maunga Manawaru, and the awa Te Arai.