Mangatoatoa marae is south of Kihikihi, near the banks of the Puniu River and 9 km from Te Awamutu. Its primary hapū are Parewaeono, Ngutu and Pare te Kawa of Ngāti Maniapoto.
The wharenui is Te Maru o Ihowa. The marae connects ancestrally to the Tainui waka and the maunga Kakepuku.
The pā at Maungatoatoa may be up to 400 years old, and is placed in an excellent tactical location for protecting the marae complex. It is thought to have been used as late as the Waikato campaigns in 1864.