Mangahānea Marae is located in Ruatoria about 130 km north of Gisborne city. Its hapū is Te Whānau a Hinetapora of Ngāti Uepōhatu and Ngāti Porou.
The whare tipuna, Hinetapora, was opened in 1896 after more than a decade of building, carving and preparation by Hone Ngātoto, Hone Taahu, Wi Tahata, Wi Haereroa and Hone Te Wehi of Ngāti Uepohatu. The wharekai, Rutu Tawhiorangi was built and opened in the late 1930s.
The marae connects ancestrally to Horouta waka, the maunga Manutahi and the awa Mangahanea.