View POI description

Originally located at Paerata, Ngāti Patumoana and Waiaua marae were relocated to the base of the Pakihi valley after the Whakatōhea land confiscations. The hapū derives its name from an event where their ancestor, Hineiahua was pursued and killed by a Ngāpuhi war party at the mouth of the Waiotahe River mouth - hence the name Ngāti Patumoana. The wharenui is called Ruamoko and was opened in 1899; the wharekai is Te Puritanga. The marae connects ancestrally to Mātaatua and Nukutere waka, the maunga Mākeo and the awa Waiaua.
Source ID: