Uiraroa marae is located in Te Teko, on the banks of the Rangitaiki River. The primary hapū are Ngāi Tamawera, Ngāti Nuku and Ngāti Ahi of Ngāti Awa. The whare tipuna is also called Uiraroa, the wharekai is named Tauwhitu and the urupa is Taikaawa. The marae connects ancestrally to the waka Mataatua, the maunga Pūtauaki and the awa Rangitaiki. Uiraroa marae rests on the ancestral papakainga Hekerangi. Uiraroa is considered to be one of the oldest marae in the Whakatāne region: the original whare tipuna was built in 1800.