Kaikou marae is in the area known as Matawaia, on the corner of Pipiwai and Lovett Road. On the marae is the wharenui named Eparaima Makapi, which was built in 1938 and named after an American missionary Ephraim Magelby; the wharekai is Te Kauta. The land and buildings were donated by the landowner Hone Peepe. The primary hapu of Kaikou marae is Te Orewai of Ngāti Hine. Kaikou marae connects ancestrally to the maunga Hikurangi, and the awa Kaikou.