Maketū Pā is located on the low hill-top immediately overlooking Maketū village. The last surviving wharenui on Maketū Pā is named Te Awhe o Te Rangi (Te Awhe). Te Awhe was opened in 1904, replacing the original meeting house built by Mita Te Rangituakoha in 1872. Maketū pā formerly hosted other wharenui named Houmaitawhiti, Kawatapuarangi and Uenuku-Mai-Rarotonga. The wharekai is named Te Rokiroki–o-Whakaotirangi. Te Awhe belongs to the hapū Ngāti Mākino, Ngāti Whakahemo and Te Patuwai of Ngāti Pikiao. Te Awhe connects ancestrally to the maunga Matawhaura, the moana of Maketū, the awa Kaituna.